Put your progressive library skills to work:
Democracy Now! is a daily, non-profit, national, independent news hour based in New York City. Democracy Now’s archive manages collections of books, photographs, artifacts and audiovisual materials such as field recordings, oral histories, interviews, and stock footage from the 1980s to today. The Democracy Now! Archivist collects, organizes, archives, preserves, and makes accessible all media collections used by the production team to make our daily, hour-long, live television news broadcast possible. The archivist is required to design and implement workflows and tailor archival operations to efficiently serve the production and dissemination of Democracy Now content. S/he must be a creative problem-solver, adept at multi-tasking, and responsive to pace of a news environment.
- Respond efficiently to production requests in a fast-paced news environment
- Prioritize and perform cataloging and collection management activities of incoming and internally generated content
- Develop and maintain long-term audiovisual preservation and access strategies
- Archive, manage, and preserve all original source media for hour-long daily news program
- Manage content with high-access priority on local NAS storage and digital preservation masters on an LTO tape library
- Ensure that media and metadata is highly accessible to internal production
- Ingest, convert and manage analog and digital assets for access and preservation
- Develop and oversee systems, technical guidelines, and file-naming standards for production content
- Design best-practices archival workflows for digital tape and born-digital content
- Administrate Filemaker Pro PBCore database
- Digitize legacy formats for preservation (audiocassette, 1/4” reel-to-reel, DAT, VHS, BetaSP)
- Maintain Democracy Now! in-house research library
- Recruit, train and supervise department interns
- Maintain onsite climate-controlled storage vault and rehouse materials as necessary
- Maintain, update, and upgrade all preservation and archiving equipment
- Act as liaison for commercial and noncommercial licensing requests
- Other duties as required
The ideal candidate will have 3 plus years experience archiving audiovisual media and digital asset management and a commitment to grassroots media. S/he should be highly organized, meticulous, and able to multitask and coordinate archival operations as needed. Excellent time-management skills and the ability to prioritize to accommodate production needs in a fast-paced environment are critical. Experience with the following codecs and software is highly favorable: Filemaker Pro (including scripts), Final Cut Pro, FORK production suite, XDCAM EX, DV25, HDV. A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required, and a master’s degree in media archiving or library science is preferred. Archival experience with born-digital audiovisual materials or work in coordination with media production is also preferred.
This is a full-time New York City based position with benefits. Salary based on experience. Democracy Now! is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages people of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons with diverse gender and sexual identities to apply for job openings. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to job (at) democracynow (dot) org with “Archivist” as the subject. No phone calls.
see the full online-post here: http://www.democracynow.org/about/jobs